Saturday, July 21, 2007

Ed Dryer

Back in college I had a friend named Ed.
His full name was Edwin Stanley Dryer.
He and I had a lot in common. We were both Sci-fi fans, we both had a bad habit of being underachievers whenever we could get away with it, we both loved silly funny things, loved to laugh, and we were both people of, shall we say, non-Barbie proportions.
Our friendship went through its ups and downs, of course, but we stayed friends throughout the college experience. I graduated, he didn't, but we still stayed in touch. We e-mailed, we occasionally visited each other...
And then he disappeared. Abruptly. Just like that.
It was strange.
To this day I don't know what happened to him. He had some health problems and had been hospitalized with heart trouble before, so did something bad happen to him as a result of a health issue? I don't know... and sometimes, when I really let myself think about it, that really bothers me.
Ed Dryer, wherever you are, I miss you.
.
.
UPDATE: On June 2, 2008, I learned that Ed had passed away. He died on May 14, 2008, just a few weeks earlier. So I still don't know the reason for all the years when he disappeared. It's possible he'd had an extended illness. He did have a history of heart trouble, and the family posthumously requested donations to the American Heart Association, so perhaps he died of a heart attack. I may never know.
:(
Here is his obituary.
.
.

No comments: