Sunday, June 13, 2010

Slowly Shrinking

If you've seen me in person lately, you know I've lost a bit of weight.
Over 57 pounds so far. (!!)
I started back in December.
I make sure to eat tons of fiber, whole grains, multi-grains, and enough water to drown a moose every day.
I also drink a lot of herbal tea, which means I probably pee even more than the moose I symbolically drowned.

I haven't "given up" anything, because I think it's a mistake to tell yourself you "can't have" something.
Therefore, when I feel like it, I've eaten chocolate, bacon double cheeseburgers, Ben & Jerry's ice cream, cookies, and pepperoni pizza. I think all those things are absolutely perfectly fine and guilt-free when enjoyed in a reasonable way. There's no such thing as a "bad" food.

I've also enjoyed salads, veggie burgers, fresh fruits, and whole grain breads. I'm learning to love new things!

If there's one thing I've discovered, it's that no one knows exactly what works for me personally-- except myself.
Well-meaning people are sometimes quick to give "advice", but it's clear that they don't necessarily understand my particular needs. Even if they've lost significant amounts of weight themselves, the fact remains that different things work for different people.

Most of the time I just try to keep a reasonable outlook about the bigger picture.
It's harder than it sounds sometimes.
But for the most part, it's working.
I'm glad.
I still have a long way to go, and I just wanted to share my current success with you. :)
.

3 comments:

PattiKen said...

Wow! You go, Girl! Since it seems it be working, I say keep listening to your own drummer.

Anonymous said...

Dang, that's a dramatic weight loss, no wonder the pants are falling down.

Janna said...

PattiKen: My drummer and I are getting to be really good friends. :)

Mik: LOL! Yes... I wonder what I would look like with suspenders? (I guess they call them "braces" in the UK, right?)