Thursday, October 25, 2007

Why you will never see me at the front of a classroom

When I first started college, I was under the illusion that I wanted to be a teacher. I even took a lot of education classes and became a tutor in one of the local schools. I worked with the junior high school band at Lenawee Christian schools in Adrian, Michigan. I spent time doing instrument sectionals as well as one-on-one tutoring with students who needed help getting the music right.
Another semester, I worked with a music class of elementary students at a different school.
I loved music, and I loved the one-on-one tutoring, but I quickly learned that being in charge of an entire classroom is NOT what I was meant to do with my life. That's hard stuff, folks. Hats off to anyone who can do it right.
I highly recommend tutoring, though, both as an instructor AND a student. If your kid is having trouble grasping a subject, they could almost certainly benefit from an Innovative Tutor program. The same applies if your child is exceptionally gifted and wants to advance beyond the level that's being taught to the rest of the class. Tutoring offers education in a more specialized way than what's possible in a group setting.
To this day, I have promised myself that I will never become a classroom teacher-- but I DO still give french horn lessons, just because it's so much fun.

No comments: